be a lemming.
follow the fox.

23 February 2010

+ why are you here?

00100100011100101100 - Hello in Binary


So yesterday I attended this SeedGroup (appropriately named) meeting, which is a branch of the OakTree Foundation. They do amazing things and help the world and all that jazz.
There was probably thirty restless people, surrendering their free lunch, in cramped, stuffy makeshift room. The volunteer began the meeting by making us introduce ourselves like we were members of an A.A. society. 
As always, it followed the inventive template: 
"Hi, my name is/I'm ______. I'm in year ____..."
And then she asked us to describe our motive for being here, why we wanted to be apart of this organisation. 
Now, call me cynical, but I always find when people are put in the spotlight the answers delivered are rather generic, but varying in wording. aka. They are the same!
So the first three people responded as such:
"Hey, I'm blah, I'm in year blah. and I just wanted to make a difference."
"Hi, my name is blah, I'm in the blah'th grade, and I had lots of fun/heard it was lots of fun."
"Hi, blah-, year blah, I just wanted to get involved because it's my last year."
This continued for the rough thirty people present in the small cave of a room. 
So really by the time it go to me we had witnessed a blend of the previous responses. I kind of like to think of them as sub-sandwitch answers. Same four ingredients but mixed up into few combinations.


lettuce - cheese - ham
ham - tomato - cheese
lettuce - tomato - cheese
tomato - ham - lettuce
the list goes on.


Now by the time it got to me the most frequently recurring response was "I just wanted to get involved."
Obviously because you can't say "Screw third world countries, I want to make a fourth world country." No, how heartless, even I'd admit. But I was tempted to simply state the obvious truth in my case.
"Why are you here?" 
> "Because my friend made me come? and apparently I'm not allowed a free lunch. ..... oh, and apparently I really wan't to get involved..." Tempted, but resisted.
> "I was held at gunpoint to come here or die."
> "A tribe of cannibalistic Hawaiians chased me here and I decided between reliving - or redying CaptainCooks death, or this, I chose the lesser of two evils."


But seriously, what do they expect when they ask that question? A small Mandella worthy spiel on how I overcame poverty and am now destined to make a huge impact by spreading my story and message? No, I am a mere private schoolgirl wanting to help make posters and organise things.


I recognize that the question was most likely a compulsory dotpoint on her page she had to put forward, but next time, please don't ask all thirty of us. 


Be inventive....and get involved?


Stay Tuned.
life's narcissistic narrator.
+ the red fox.


-OVER AND OUT-

1 comment: