be a lemming.
follow the fox.

04 March 2010

+ new people.

Mahalo.

I was walking home from school with one of my best mates and she commented on how depressing my blog was, so I suppose this is to make her happy and because I was pondering about it the other day.

Just prepare yourselves, because this blog is going to be happy (not amusing or witty), I know right, shocking stuff. Once in a while, between all my frustrated and cynical thoughts I have a pleasant one. And this is dedicated to the romanticism behind meeting new people.
To your average garden variety person they may deem this frightening, out of their comfort zone, boring, dull, mundane, any of the previous words, but unlike in English and Art when you can never be wrong, you are.

Okay so take my situation last saturday. I was sitting in a 0kelvin room - freezing to death - with fifty other girls and four boys (I counted) and instead of listening to the keypoints of writing an A+ passage analysis in the exam I was thinking about how many people I didn't know.
I just find it amazing to believe that it only takes one form of communication to bridge the void between two lives. A simple "Hi" will do the trick and from that moment on, you've met someone you may never see again. Another stupid invention of mine is to make a person counter, because I think it'd be intriguing to see the amount of people we meet in a lifetime. Like another segment at a funeral is the 'person count'. A doctor might meet more than a spoon manufacturer labourer, or a taxi driver might hit a million more than an airhostess. I just think that'd be nice.
But if you think about them in context, new people are always, 100% more interesting than someone you know, regardless of the fact of mutual interests or appearance or culture or language. An unknown someone is a person you know nothing about. Everything will be fresh and new. Isn't that wonderful?
Except when they're not wonderful. Then the wonderful thing is the parting. But on the rare occasion you don't mind them, there's always that dreadful feeling of fate. Perhaps you'll never see this person again? How horrible. Or what if this meeting is the catalyst for a series of events, like you said something that inspired the other person to invent the Google machine? Or perhaps you prevented a suicide, or even just made their day? Oh all the possibilities are overwhelmingly exciting! But you'll never know until you make that contact.
Another reason I endorse facebook! You can meet someone, attempt to remember their name and immediately confirm that you know someone new. Broadcast it to the rest of your 239 friends through a constant influx of status updates.
But how easy was it to flow through friends when you were young? Cast your minds back to your primary school days when you made and destroyed friendships within lunchtimes. How innocent it was. Get to highschool and bang, no friends, no fun, no life? No thankyou.
Like how you expand your mind, expand your friendship. Extend a Hi to the person behind you in the line for a coffee at Starbucks.

However, now that I reflect on my contention, perhaps making friends isn't always safe. Actually now I'm remembering a great fear of mine, meeting crazy people. So perhaps it isn't a fantastic idea, but merely a nice one.

So make a friend. And skip over rainbows, and dance with lollypops and carebears because the world is fluffy and loveydovey for just this one blog.
Don't worry, the cynical stuff will return, I promise.


Stay Tuned.
life's narcissistic narrator.
+ the red fox.

-OVER AND OUT-

1 comment:

  1. This was a good post hannah. I liked it, due to the fact you were spot on: new people are interesting for the entire fact that they're new.

    I also like the mention of Chaos Theory through the butterfly effect ;D

    And you fear crazy people? My god; how do you stand me?!

    ReplyDelete