be a lemming.
follow the fox.

07 March 2010

+ simple sincerity.

Mahalo.

I suppose I just wanted to share an experience that took place today in Chadstone of all places.

With the unexpected and astonishing arrival of hail in Melbourne - yes, HAIL!! and bloody lots of it - I decided to look into a beanie, not assuming it would protect me from solid cherry sized chunks of freezing ice (as ice generally is) hurtling towards Earth at a billion kilometres and hour, but simply from a cool breeze. Spotting a lovely creamy knitted hat, thing, I grabbed it and set out in search for a mirror, very rare in shopping centers nowadays yu'll find.
I finally found one and surrounding it where three people. One, a shop attendant, and the other two were a couple in their twenties, the girl with a lisp and a hat in hand, the boy patiently sitting in the chair, assuming the male shopping role, both clearly simple. The girl was lovely, inquiring about the suitability of the hat in winter, the boy offering his support and opinion - of course endorsing her overall thoughts on the product.
So I excused myself and squeezed in between the scene to examine my mismatched reflection. The hat looked as expected, so I weaselled my way out again, apologizing when I heard the boy say something in my direction. I whip around (slowly because my neck has been ridiculously sore recently - so when I say whip, I mean turn around without bending my head, so like a robot, from the waist up...).
"Sorry?"
And then the most genuine and innocent sentence I've ever heard.
"That hat looks very nice on you, it suits you." Said without any hint of sarcasm, no fringe of innuendo or narcissism. Simply pure truth.
It made me beam. And think of course. If only everything could be said with such sincerity. Most likely it's a scenario where you had to be there to understand. But it, and the weather, made my day.

Stay Tuned.
life's narcissistic narrator.
+ the red fox.

-OVER AND OUT-

No comments:

Post a Comment